Stress is a Tensor ...

My life through the MBA application process while I try to get my Professional Engineer's License ...

Sunday, June 04, 2006

More than a week has passed and I have done very little. A few days ago I started writing down where I want to go and how an MBA would help in the process.

Looking back, I had planned on getting an MBA somewhere down the line while I was a sophomore in college, because I knew that I would eventually be running a business, either my own or a joint venture. However, naive as I was, I did not think much about what I would want from my MBA itself. All I knew was it would teach me what not to do while running a business.

As I entered grad school and later when I joined the workforce full time, I started thinking more about what I wanted to do and how business schools fit into the picture.

Now, with all the exposure I have had to industry, the non-profit sector and government, how I run my company is as important to me as anything else. What I want from a business education has changed so much from the last time I thought about it, that it makes me wonder whether I should expose myself to more of the industry. Would my needs change considerably if I worked for two more years ?

I am trying to find a compelling answer for "why now?" and all I can come up with is "why not now?". Although I am sure that the next two years would provide me with far less insight into my profession and industry than the last two and that the managerial opportunities are scant, I feel that this is the wrong way to think about it.

The most important reason for me is that I want to change careers and that should be reason enough. Ah! I am rambling at the fag end of a long day.

Later ...

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Just out of curiosity, how many years of experience do you have?

It is hard to come up with some of the answers that we have to figure out for the whole application process. Some requires more thinking than others. But in the end, it will be all worth while. : )

Cheers!

12:00 PM  
Blogger StressTensor said...

Three years full time and two years part time. Another one year part time if you count undergrad.

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home